Thursday, September 17, 2009

Manna

Daily Bread. Sigh. The Lord has been teaching me about contentment lately. I have to say that it is not the easiest lesson I have even learned - nor is it the most difficult. Often, I find myself wishing for yesterday and wanting tomorrow. I know that both these things (within reason) are a waste of time. Life today - in the here and now is what we are called to. Does this mean we stop making plans? No. But, it does mean that we hold things with an open hand a bit more that we would like to. How often I want to clutch the things I desire, the things I value, as if I could never let them go? This clutching is motivated by fear. Fear is not of the Lord. What would happen if I lived my life as if the living God-man of Jesus Christ was really my all in all, my total sufficiency, my bread? I would probably begin to realize, even if ever so slightly, that it is just not about me. It's about joy in the midst of pain. It's about joy in the midst of triumphs. It's about "being third." Oh how I desire to be content. What blessings, what kindness the Father has lavished on us, that we may be called sons and daughters of God. This still gets me...almost 20 years after asking Christ into my heart. As it should. And may it always. He, He Himself is our Daily Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment